Written by Caris
1. Firstly, if you didn’t have one already, here is your excuse to wear active wear ALL WEEKEND.Lets be honest…active wear is comfy as hell! Non-activewear wearers (real term) don’t know the true comfort and support that high waisted tights with built in support and sucker-inner-technology can bring. Consider swapping the sweat band with sparkles for the cocktail party, other than that, sports bra’s for life!
2. It’s a perfect opportunity to treat yo’ self.
Remember that time when you took a whole weekend off just for yourself and hated it? Neither do we! Maintain some sanity while also looking after your physical and mental health before you go all Britney 07 on poor Carol at the grocery check out. There will be ample opportunity to focus on just you – GUILT FREE. Plus, who would shun away from exclusive shopping experiences? Ugh, as if! …oh and Novotel is offering rooms for only $155 with buffet breakfast *yes I just said BUFFET breakfast.
3. Make friends with like-minded sweat sisters.
Get in girlfriend, we’re going twerking. All those good vibes and exercise endorphins means everyone who attends are going to be generally happy and friendly so it’s a perfect place to make some new buddies. Sisters before misters!
4. It’s motivating like…seriously motivating!
It’s basically going to be impossible not to be motivated during this weekend. Fitsquad. Fightclub. Twerkshop. Booty Expo. No these aren’t trending baby names, these one of a kind workout sessions will have you realising that you’ve got 99 problems and they all involve sweat. After you’ve expelled yourself of all bodily fluids, get some next level mojo from a huge range of speakers to inspire and motivate. You’ll basically walk out an oracle. Plus…we have Xandria Ooi flying in all the way from Malaysia to speak at our Expo…and if you haven’t checked this sister out yet…you are MISSING OUT ON LIFE.
5. The cocktail party is just too damn wonderful.
Murder that dancefloor! 2015 flashbacks include outfits that slayed, unrecognisable instructors, limbo, questionable singing and yes, lots and lots of Konga. This is your chance to walk the red carpet (could be green, blue, not sure), socialise and inhale a samosa or twenty while crushing the dance floor.
6. The world’s biggest Konga class.
Turn down for what! This is a fit squad of epic proportions. You will actually transform into Rihanna while you nail that werwerwerwerwer track. Become enchanted with the good vibes, impressive set up, the sick beats and most of all, the tonne of legends filling the room.
7. The cocktail party is just too damn wonderful.
Murder that dancefloor! 2015 flashbacks include outfits that slayed, unrecognisable instructors, limbo, questionable singing and yes, lots and lots of Konga. This is your chance to walk the red carpet (could be green, blue, not sure), socialise and inhale a samosa or twenty while crushing the dance floor
8. TJB is the program that people actually love.
Choreographers deserve a damn medal. 5 programs that all offer something different every month. And no we aren’t talking different as in I think I’ll get a soy latte today, we are talking mind blowing, crap your crop top mind blowing routines that are fierce as hell. If you need convincing, tighten your pony and get your butt to the convention to witness the fitness.
9. It’s cheaper than therapy.
This is the convention you need in your life right now. Studies have shown that exercising isn’t just good for you physically, it’s mentally beneficial as well. Last years convention has been described as “one of the most positive experiences I have ever been involved in” – @everybodyjunglebody. Now if that doesn’t convince you, maybe the raw ball samples will.
10. Thanks for the memories.
You’ll take home with you irreplaceable keepsakes. And no were not talking about your saffron infused Chilean macro goji berry nutrient paleo Aztec wellness tea. We’re talking about the cherished memories you’ll make during your time there. And the fact that you’ve just been part of a world wide phenomenon basically makes you Beyoncé.
If you haven’t got your tickets yet, you better be clicking because October 14-16 at Novotel Perth Langley is where it is at sisters – www.thejunglebodyconvention.com
Whats happening though…?
- Friday night 7pm-9pm Worlds Biggest KONGA Class
- Saturday 9am – 2:30pm Fitsquad, Fightclub & Twerkshop Workout sessions
- Saturday 7pm – Midnight Cocktail Ball
- Sunday 10am – 4pm – Mind, Body, Booty Expo including speakers on health, diet, life, happiness, reaching your goals and everything in between. Plus go shopping with over 30 retailers from Perth! $60 ticket gets you access to everything and lunch. or just come and shop with FREE ENTRY on Sunday.
Want to know what all the fuss is about? Check out Xandria here – https://www.facebook.com/xandriaooi/videos/1065122103583934/
BY GILLIAN DE GRAAF
When life throws you lemons only you can decide what to do with it, I’m choosing to make that lemonade, kind of like Beyoncé’s new album lol.
Don’t worry about Becky with the good hair, or how others are hurting you or affecting your life. Take charge, because life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. Our reaction to a situation literally has the power to change the situation itself. Focus on you, don’t focus on being better than anyone else just focus on being the best version of YOU. Because when you are truly happy within yourself, you won’t need to try and tear others down to make yourself feel better, you won’t be a negative thinker, or see the glass half empty. Instead you will be so happy and appreciate so much in life and how precious it is that you will radiate happiness wherever you go, you will want to help others more because you see that you rise as you do and when you are happy within yourself you won’t tolerate being around people who make you feel anything else.
In the last few years life has thrown me some HUGE lemons, there were times I didn’t know how I was going to make that lemonade. I had another HUGE lemon this year and my life completely changed. But I’ve kept going and what helps me every single day is knowing how blessed I am. I’m blessed for my health, I’m blessed to have a healthy beautiful little boy, I’m blessed that my body can move the way it can and I get to do something I LOVE for work every day, I’m blessed.
There are way bigger things in this world then Becky with that good hair, or someone who hurt you or jealousy and nastiness. Life is short, wake up every day with a grateful heart for everything that you have and live life the way you want, whatever it is that makes your heart smile.
Chase your dreams, work for your goals, help others when you can and keep making that lemonade because you can do anything you set your mind too and live the life you want.
I was nineteen years old sitting in an Economics lecture at Curtin University scribbling away in my notebook. I should have been listening to the beauty of non-cooperative game theory and social choice but instead I was fixated on something else. I was consumed by the idea that no one was offering a workout for the everyday Australian. For the woman who was uncoordinated as anything but felt alive when the music turned up. For the girl who wanted to lose weight but couldn’t stand the treadmill . For the Mum who needed to keep fit but would never dare enter a gym. For the busy woman who didn’t have time to workout but needed it. My economic ears pricked because I knew there was demand but no one was filling it the right way.
I called my Mum and said “I think I can make this work….what do you think me about cutting back to part time uni?”
The response was everything I imagined from my Mother. In her bubbly, overly supportive and totally infectious tone she replied “yes…do it!”. That is how The Jungle Body was officially born.
In 2007 I graduated high school with dreams of being the next big economist and potentially a future Politician. I was Head Girl of my High School, “that girl” that started a Speech Club at lunch time and I entered every single extracurricular educational program and competition possible. I met my idol John Howard when I won The Hasluck Leadership Award and Richard Goyder presented me with the Business Icon award at only seventeen years old. I landed the John Curtin Scholarship when I finished High School and I began studying a Bachelor of Economics and Management. I scored my dream job in Advisory at PricewaterhouseCoopers straight out of School and everything was falling into place. I was clear where I was heading and no one could stop me.
What I have failed to add so far is that apart from all the studying, I had a passion for dance and fitness. My brother and I began ballroom dancing together when we were kids. We were always teased for giggling and smiling. The Franzinelli’s were always known as the “smileys” (my maiden name was Franzinelli).Naturally, as my brother grew up and realized ballroom dancing with your sister was not cool I began competing without him.
My mother was always very into staying fit and eating healthy. I was the child that was never allowed MSG or added sugar (long before it became cool) and I have countless memories doing Denise Austin workouts with my Mum for “fun”. I always struggled with knee problems from dancing so I was given a special membership at fifteen for my local gym (usually you had to be over eighteen) to do rehab. I hated doing sport at school in fear I would injure my knee which would hurt my dancing. Gym classes on the other hand I fell completely in love with. Before school my Mum would drop me at the gym for a Step class with a bunch of 40 year old woman. It was my outlet, the other dimension to me & something that I completely fell in love with.
It was late 2009 and it was time to depart to the US for my semester abroad which was part of my University Scholarship. I had a stopover in Los Angeles for a few days so I was left to venture out myself. I didn’t know anyone, I was underage and I was completely alone. This actually excited me because I absolutely love being alone and this was the first time I could truly live by myself. Interestingly, and potentially fateful I randomly decided the very first thing I would do would be go to the gym. The gym next to my hotel happened to the be the hottest gym in LA called Equinox on Sunset. It was Sunday at seven in the morning and not a person was in sight except the poor Manager who had to be there. I started chatting to him only to find out that he was the former Manager of the famous Gold’s Gym Venice Beach who had dreams of one day having his own Fitness Centre. Our conversation flowed as my legs chased after the treadmill and something sort of magical happened. I said to him that I would be happy to help out wherever I could in helping him create his fitness empire. Business plans, feasibility studies and numbers were what made me tick. So I exchanged my email and headed to New York to begin my studies.
New York University life is exactly like the movies. Fraternities, campus parties, dorm rooms and an obsession with American history. I was placed in a shoebox dormitory with a beautiful girl named Junehan from China. Jun was studying Musical Therapy which meant countless hours every day practicing her guitar skills. I think I heard John Denver’s “Annie’s Song” more than a thousand times. The tiny room would fill up with Chinese international students most nights and we would just giggle hardly understanding what each other was saying. In between learning about the American Civil War, listening to her learn guitar and assimilating to this new way of life; I was determined to impress this gym Manager from Los Angeles. I created the ultimate business plan for the opening of a gym in Los Angeles. With no expectations or payment, I just for some unknown reason felt the need to throw myself into this opportunity. This is how I always was. If there was a competition, a networking event, an opportunity to learn more or a person to meet; my hand was always up first.
I always felt the more I threw myself into life, the more I could gain. Every time I put myself in a challenging or uncomfortable position that was where I gained the most knowledge & satisfaction.
I spent the little money I had buying stockart to make this Business Plan look professional, filled the pages with financial estimates I found researching on Google and I showered the pages with my summaries, thoughts and notes. After about a week I had created a Business Plan that maybe PwC would have been proud of. I emailed it off…not knowing why or what it would lead to. But a sense of satisfaction that I had given it a go & potentially helped someone fulfill their dream. He returned my email totally overwhelmed and basically engaging me to help him & his Business partner Wladimir Klitschko open America’s greatest gym.
What followed this one fateful event was a year of travelling around the US trying the latest fitness classes, trademarking & meeting with Lawyers, creating branding with a high level Marketing company from Germany, checking out potential sites in New York & LA, producing startup costs with their accountant, recruiting the top fitness stars in the country and researching what it takes to be successful in the fitness market.
Plus, the fun stuff…like watching Wladimir fight at the Staples Centre and trying out endless classes that I loved like Piloxing, Zumba & Spin. I started to become addicted to group fitness classes so much so that I joined New York Health & Racquet Club because they had clubs on every block in Manhatten. Every night I would look at the Group Fitness schedule of all classes across the city! I’d finish a 6am aerobics class downtown and then race up to midtown for Pilates at 9am. Probably the most memorable class was one where the treadmill had no sides & you were to jump from one to another. Not sure where that one is today!
New York has an energy about it when you live there that is hard to describe. I stayed in Chelsea around the corner from the Meatpacking District which meant I could workout till late into the night and safely walk home absorbing the people, the sounds, the families, the celebrities …and everything in between.
You would think I would have lost weight, but I actually gained 5 kilos from post-workout caramel protein shakes, Ben & Jerry’s at every corner store, loaded chopped salads & cookie dough covered frozen yoghurt.
I remember one day coming up with the idea of Virtual Fitness classes. We thought we were going to be millionaires as the idea of being able to run Group Fitness classes all day with no instructor seemed like the ultimate lucrative idea. After a few hours we were in tears laughing on the floor at how ridiculous the idea was. Who would want to walk in a room alone and listen to a screen? Fast forward six years and it is actually happening. In the end we came up with the name 220 and the tag line ‘Second to None’. Today the gym reigns supreme in Santa Monica, Los Angeles and was voted “#2 Gym in the Nation,” by The Huffington Post and Self Magazine.
When I arrived back in Perth for Christmas in 2009 the first thing I did was head to the gym with my best friend; my Mum! I was hoping to see the Protein Shake bar, Cardio Theatre, Personal Trainers that were almost celebrity like, endless dance fitness classes & Pilates reformer rooms.
Unfortunately, the experience was quite the opposite. Staff that couldn’t crack a smile, the same techno beat aerobics with the same moves from 1994, bored Personal Trainers sitting on their Blackberries and a small fridge with Powerade. Something clicked in my mind and I knew I had to bring some of the energy from the US to Australia.
I was obsessed with Zumba so I began teaching it while at University. In the US there is a strong connection to South America and Latin music, food & culture is so natural. But in Australia I was finding the Bachata, Samba, Salsa, Merengue were not connecting. All I wanted to do was put on my own Hip Hop music, do some simple moves & throw in some other styles like Boxing & Cardio because half of my class could not dance. So, I just did it. I created my own program I called KONGA® and the classes were at max capacity each week.
The very first Instructor Training in Perth. So many of these faces are still teaching or part of my life. Including Shereice!
To this very day I still teach at the same Sporting Club I began teaching at in 2010. The same time, the same place, the same numbers, the same stage and a lot of the same people.
Photo at my Class at the Italian Club from 2010. I still teach here, same time, same place, same people!
It has been six years now. So much has happened I could write a very long book. Maybe the next DVD I can continue this story. But in short, I have had six unbelievable years. Yes it has been an uphill battle getting gyms & instructors to believe in the programs. It has been a struggle starting at nineteen with a few hundred dollars to my name. It has been difficult when everyone chose the global competitor over the underdog. But each week I kept going.
I kept going because I saw so many lives transform. Mindsets have been altered, relationships created & careers formed. Plus, i am a big believer that the best way to find happiness is to earn it. I thrive off a journey of hard work & it’s the challenges that have made me who I am today not so much the wins. I love being able to problem solve & become a better version of myself.
The company has grown up in the last six years. The sort of change you see in an infant from birth to six years of age. That is why now felt like the right time to do a DVD. The programs are now exactly what I imagined them to be, the instructors represent all that I could ever have dreamed of & the brand is exactly what I sought out to achieve.
In London with Shereice, who has been part of this journey with me…through the thick and the thin!
The power & spirit of The Jungle Body is not just in the movements & the music…it’s in the people. It’s the energy & culture we have created that make the workouts addictive, uplifting & empowering. It’s the friendly smiles you get from our instructors, their easy-going attitude that you fall in love with, their screams of joy for that 80s track you love, their determination you see at the end of that arm track or that hilarious look as we all attempt to twerk. It’s the feeling of inclusion, the feeling of acceptance & the mutual goal to be a better version of ourselves that makes it amazing.
I truly hope that The Jungle Body injects some light into your life & that my story inspires you to go out and achieve what you want! The Jungle Body is only what it is today because of every participant, instructor and supporter….the people I will forever be grateful for!
Don’t wait for the right time or the perfect circumstance for every challenge only makes you better. There will be struggles, there will be problems – but if your heart is in the right place and you are determined to work hard every single day – it will be worth it no matter what the end result.
I look forward to re-blogging this story in another 5 years with hopefully more amazing Jungle Body memories with you!
Most of us know what we need to do to lose weight. We know when we open up that Ben & Jerrys Icecream we aren’t going to stop after a few spoons. We know when we devour that tantalizing pack of salt & vinegar chips we will regret it. We know picking up that ‘oh so chunky’ Kit Kat chunky at the Petrol station, it is going straight to the hips. We know cancelling on your Personal trainer again is setting you back another month of pain.
Why can’t we have supermodel discipline & only finish half the plate?
Why can’t we be satisfied eating a salad for lunch like that friend of yours?
Why can’t we just leave the fridge door closed for a day…I mean hour?
Why can’t we always have the time to workout?
It all comes down to “motivation”.
Some of us think its “discipline”… You focus all your energy on suppressing what you really want to eat, restricting what you used to enjoy & forcing yourself to workout more. The problem with this is that it isn’t enjoyable, it certainly isn’t realistic long-term and it doesn’t make you happy. How do I know this? Because you wouldn’t be saying you had to be disciplined if you enjoyed it.
If you are continually “motivated” to lose weight & get fit nothing can stop you. The issue is that our motivation levels fluctuate…so the goal is to manage your determination so that so you are always motivated to some degree.
So how do you get motivated?
- Motivated people focus on how they feel rather than how they look or measure up. They do workouts that make them feel amazing which is a way to motivate them to do it more often.
- Motivated people don’t beat themselves up if they aren’t perfect. They just problem solve & use it to motivate them to do better the next day or the next week.
- Motivated people reward themselves because they know that when motivation starts to drop that will be the perfect remedy to almost throwing in the towel.
- Motivated people do not wait to drop a few kilos before they start or wait for a friend to do it with them. Motivated people throw themselves into situations as soon as possible because that will give them more opportunities to achieve their goals.
- Motivated people are positive & they believe in themselves. They don’t say “I’m tired, fat & lazy”, they say “I’m well rested, getting fit & healthy”. They use their love for themselves to motivate them.
- Motivated people show initiative & problem solve. Motivated people will find a way to eat right, to make a healthy choice, to fit in time to workout, to balance their week. When there is a will there is a way.
- Motivated people set subconscious goals all the time. A motivated person doesn’t give up when it gets tough or just go with the flow. They have a strategy, a plan & little goals every day to keep them motivated.
It’s not about being perfect. It’s not about starting Monday. It’s not about anyone else. It’s about YOU becoming a happy & motivated person in this precious & amazing life we are blessed to live. It’s about finding ways to enjoy your journey.
Happy Weekend everyone!
“Healthy eating” at restaurants & cafes used to be super difficult & totally painful in Perth! It meant scouring through variations of “moist” garlic bread, sweaty parmigianas, cream laced pastas & overloaded big breakfasts to find a lifeless & boring healthy option. Now, don’t get me wrong life is all about balance & Garlic bread certainly floats my boat. But the option to go out to a cafe & find wholesome, nutritious & mouth-watering food that will make you, your mind & body feel amazing is one I want.
When you are working hard to eat healthy, feel strong & age well you want to be able to head out with your friends and indulge in food that will make you feel BETTER than before you arrived.
These are The Jungle Body’s Top Perth Healthy Cafes & restaurants that we cannot get enough in 2016:
- The Raw Kitchen , Fremantle – This is the Beyonce of Healthy Cafes in Perth. It’s the original, the best & the ultimate “progressive plant-based” experience. Every single dish is high on taste, almost too big to finish & don’t be fooled by the name – they also have cooked dishes. My top pick is the Pad Thai & the raw Nachos…& has been for years! *addicted
- Little Bird Cafe, Northbridge – Think Peanut Butter & Choc Smoothies, Haloumi Burgers, Nutella Cheesecakes & Green Breaky bowls. This place has it all, including MEAT…but it’s made from a clean perspective so you don’t have to feel guilty!
- Health Freak Cafe, Mt Lawley, Scarbrough & Joondalup – Where do I start? If you could eat here every day life would be bliss! Its a Gluten & Sugar Free concept with options like Matcha Tea Nutella Protein Pancakes, Paleo Kale Egg White Omelette, Cocowhip Affogatos & Grilled Salmon over Coconut Cauliflower. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or in between…this is the place to eat for life.
- Natures Harvest, Cottesloe – Its an epic Health Food store that offers holistic healing plus a UNREAL Cafe! Breakfast bowls you can design, Chia puddings you can create plus Warm Bowls filled with Lentils & Curry’s that you can choose….Need I say anymore?
- Panache Cafe, Perth – This place is for people who work in the city! It is only open 7am till 3pm & it’s all about fresh, wholesome & “living” food that is quick & easy for city people! What I love is they encourage you to have your Business Meetings there…#winning
- Flora & Fauna, Northbridge – Sometimes the best things come in small packages. Its a tiny quaint little spot with a few seats outdoors but wow…it will blow your mind. I’m not even going to explain what this places offers, I just want you to to go to their Instagram & then organise a lunch date!
- Ohana Acai Bar, Fremantle – I live close to Freo so when this baby popped up I was first in! Basically its a DIY Acai Bar! Step 1 choose your base fruit, Step 2 pick your toppings, Step 3 add some crunch & then finish off with super foods like Hemp Seeds, Bee Pollen & Gogi Berries.
- Sapore, Belmont – Sapore is the perfect place to go with the family when not everyone wants to eat super clean! It has the best of both worlds like Blueberry Pancakes with White Chocolate Sauce & then Breakfast Protein shakes & Roast Vegetable stacks. It’s my go to ‘post-workout’ Sunday morning brunch…and given the long lines…its everyone else’s too!
- The Little Shop of Plenty, Maylands – Raw Banana Crepes, Kombucha, Organic Mousse cakes & Paleo plates. This quaint little cafe has plenty of options that are dairy, gluten & cane sugar free but what I love most is it’s all about the nutrients & making food that will give you energy!
- COMO The Treasury, Perth – This new 5 Star hotel in Perth is my absolute favourite place at the moment with beautiful dining options, unique bars & a holistic Spa that will make you melt! Wildflower is a Rooftop restaurant to die for! It “serves contemporary European dishes revolving around the indigenous ethos of six seasons with farmer and forager-driven menus.” While, POST serves up Quinoa Porridge, Kale Omelettes & Fremantle Octopus with Shark Bay prawns!
Perth’s food scene is literally out of control with so many “ah-mazing” new places popping up every month. It is such an exciting time for eating & enjoying beautiful, wholesome & delicious quality food in the best city in the world – Perth!
When you eat well, sleep lots & move more your whole mind & body starts to smile! So call your friends, set up your healthy date & support the local cafes that are being courageous & creating these phenomenal plates day in, day out!
Tara Simich, Founder, The Jungle Body
For some reason Christmas seems to be the time that you let everything go & get nothing done! You fill your body with gooey cheese platters, rolls of nitrate filled salami, cream laced Pavlova and your workout timetable flys out the window. Before you know it you are back at work & everything feels JUST THE SAME.
NOT THIS YEAR. OK Jungle Bodies?
There are 2-3 weeks ahead of you now which you will turn into the best ones of your LIFE! Turn this festive period into the best possible holiday for you & your body! Your mind & body wants beautiful nutritious food balanced with some delectable indulgences … It wants rest & relaxation balanced with movement, connection & laughter!
So what is the plan?
- Schedule it in – Get your Diary and plan 3-4 workouts or active dates with you, your friends & family each week! This may be a new workout at a cool gym you haven’t been to before, a PT Session with a new Trainer you find online, a run through Kings Park, a random Bootcamp or KONGA Class you find online, a day playing golf or trampolining, a day at the beach with the family or a twilight walk along the river. Either way…plan NOW an active holiday season so you can keep your body moving & improving!
- Stock the fridge – Head to the shops and fill your fridge with glorious fruit & fascinating veggies! Chop them up into bite size pieces in containers so all week long over the next 2-3 weeks you have quick, fresh, healthy & body-loving food in your house. You will have plenty of events to go to where you will be indulging, so make sure at HOME you balance that out by eating what your body wants. Try swap some meals for squeezed juices, have fresh clean summer salads with protein for dinner & then indulge when you head out of the house. If you eat a clean & wholesome diet for 80% of the holiday season I promise you will feel more amazing than ever before!
- Spend precious time not money– Life is way to short to waste your time on this Earth being moody, closed off & not exploring what the world has to offer. Its time NOW to book in some amazing experiences that you will never forget such as
- A small reunion – Get your old friends or distant relatives together for a short Brunch, walk around the river or a Cocktail hour. Doesn’t have to be long! Even invite friends on Facebook you never actually see in real life! Connect with people and feel the happiness it brings! Don’t wait for others to ask YOU – you be the first one to reach out!
- Cook – My Sister-in-Law, her sister & my best friend get together every year & cook Christmas things which we then give our family as presents. Its a fun day where we chat, laugh & just be together! The food doesn’t always turn out to Nigella’s standards or pretty …but the experience is priceless.
- Read – Find a good book at your local Library or book store that will inspire you or provide you with some knowledge! Find a sunny spot somewhere, or sit in the bath, or maybe go to a local pool & just read. You will feel so accomplished finishing a book by the end of the Holiday season!
- Organise your life – Find a day to sort your life out! Write out a list today of what needs to be done to give you more clarity in your life. Maybe you need to sort your wardrobe, finally clean out your kitchen, find a new job or organise your finances & bills. Maybe you want to finally sign up to be a Jungle Body Instructor or create a Budget in 2016 so you can start to have some savings! Whatever it is…NOW is the time.
When you work hard, achieve a goal (even an every day goal like cleaning your wardrobe or walking around the river), be present & get involved in life you will feel a sense of happiness like no other gift or material present will give you! Don’t worry about what you did or said in the past, it’s about who you are now & where you want to be tomorrow.
Have an amazing Christmas & remember to always be the first to smile!
We see so many amazing healthy breakfasts these days…. Glamourous Acai Bowls, volcanos of Avocado & Poached eggs & Chia cups with smothered berries. Dinner inspiration of lean green soldiers of asparagus & pasta spirals of zucchini.
BUT WHAT ABOUT LUNCH?
I was finding that with time constraints my lunch was becoming a solemn can of Tuna, some sad little crackers or whatever I could scavenge from my fridge!
So, I thought what the hell can I do to make lunch more nutritious and better for my energy levels? I’d known about the amazing team behind Momentum Meals for a good year but never thought I would be “one of those people” with frozen foods! But… You know what? It’s healthy, clean and it tastes damn good! I’d prefer to fill my body with amazing nutrients then rushing around & grabbing whatever on those days I don’t have time!
It’s day 3 of having these meals for lunch which are all about 280-350 calories! Everything from Barramundi to Turkey to Beef! Even vegetarian Dahl! No yucky sauces or weird tastes. Just good wholesome quality food that your body will love you for! Takes me 4 minutes to heat up and I feel so satasfied!
5 thumbs up from me! Www.momentumlifestyles.com.au
Working in Health & Fitness I am constantly seeing new trends & products come & go! I’ve tried Protein Balls that taste like sand & trendy supplements that had literally 0 effect on my body. So, when I do find things that I genuinely adore – I love to share! So here we go, my Top 5 Favourite things at the moment:
- 100% Magnesium Spray – https://www.amazingoils.com.au/ – My Mum tore her Rotator Cuff & has been on anti inflammatories until we found this wondrous product. A few sprays & her pain literally DISAPPEARED within seconds! If you are like me & you don’t have time to sit in a Magnesium soak bath for your aches, migraines & pains – you need to try this spray. They recommend 5-10 sprays per day for an average adult to boost Magnesium levels in the body & to keep in mind your absorption through oral magnesium is approximately 5-12% when through the skin is 94-97%! Ah-mazing!
- Amaze Balls – http://www.amazeballs.net.au/ – Perth people this is for you! I have tried countless nutritional balls, snacks & mixes… usually the tasty ones are high in calories & the good ones are yucky. Boost Juice Chocolate Protein balls are an example of a complete treat for me – high in calories but so damn yummy. So, when Sarah (Founder of Amaze Balls) gave me some free product I was, to be honest, expecting to taste ANOTHER healthy ball that tasted like… you know! However, after one bite of the Choc Protein ball my mouth was salivating & my heart was pounding…I had finally found the ball of all balls. I ended up purchasing two packs within one day…no joke! I also purchased the Granola… I usually am anti-granola because of the high sugar content & subsequent average taste. BUT, lo & behold, it was another Winner! My snack life feels complete now & I want you to try it for yourself. Email email@example.com for delivery!
- Cashew Milk – http://madejuice.com/ – Once you go Cashew you will not, I repeat, WILL NOT, go back to other nut milks – even Cow’s milk. Cashew Milk is best described as a creamy, thick, sweet & whipped type of milk! I drink very little milk so I am buying a luxury Cashew Milk at the moment from Made Juice, but you can easily make it yourself! Just soak the Cashews overnight, add a hint of Agave, Vanilla & Cinnamon then Blend. No need to push it through a nut milk bag 😉 GIVE IT A TRY!
- Fabletics – http://www.fabletics.com – This is a US Activewear Company that has an amazing concept! You basically join up for free & each month you select an entire outfit for under $40 and it ships straight to your door (Worldwide). They have hundreds of stunning & high quality items & every month has a fresh range for you to pick from 😉 For people that workout A LOT or Mum’s that live in leggings – this may be a cost effective option to having the latest fitness trends each month!
- Pelvic Floor Training – http://www.fitright.net.au/ – I was fortunate to meet with the beautiful Taryn Watson (Founder of Fit Right) a Womens Health Physio who is all about getting you FIT right right way for women in regards to their pelvic floor health! “Research has shown that one in three women suffer with urinary incontinence, and one in two women who have had a natural birth will have a vaginal prolapse.” I did an ultrasound with her (expecting my Pelvic Floor to be perfect as I work in fitness) but I actually had an “overactive” pelvic floor. So, if you are planning on having a baby, currently pregnant, post baby or at an age where you are feeling that your pelvic floor may be weakening – please reach out & focus on your Pelvic floor – it is an incredibly important part of our bodies not to be neglected!
That’s it for now! Would love to hear your comments on any of the above 😉
Just like your house or your wardrobe…every now & then your body needs a big clean out! It gives your body a chance to kick out all the toxins that have built up, reduce the strain on your digestive and immune systems & give your organs a REST! The result is usually a bit more jump in your step & some sparkle in your eye. So how do you do it? We have come up with a quick & easy recipe – because we like to keep things simple at The Jungle Body 😉
- Check your diary and mark a week where you have a clean break from functions, lunches or events. You simply cannot detox if you are out at a restaurant or at after-work drinks!
- Quit the following for 1 week
- Alcohol, Soft Drink & Processed fruit Juice
- Milk products (except ½ cup unsweetened yoghurt with acidophilus each day)
- Sugar, honey, maple syrup, artificial sweeteners
- Coffee & Energy Drinks
- Processed Foods/Take-Away
- Chocolate, Lollies, Dried Fruit
- Wheat (bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta, cereal, chips), rye, barley, oats, spelt and rice
- Eat only the following for 1 week
- All types of fresh Fruit & All types of Vegies
- Fresh Fish or Canned Fish in water or olive oil
- Lean red meat, chicken (without the skin). Limit to two serves per week.
- Legumes (dried or canned, such as kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils)
- Eggs (preferably organic)
- Olive oil & Coconut oil (Cook any of the above in this)
- Nuts & Seeds (Best as a snack)
- Green tea, white tea, weak black tea (decaffeinated)
- Water (1-3 Litres per day)
- Follow the Recipe
- Start the day with a Morning lemon juice. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a cup of hot water. Drink first thing in the morning before breakfast.
- Eat. Eggs and/or Fruit for breaky, Vegies & Fruit for Lunch, Nuts & Seeds as Snacks, Protein & Salad/Vegies for Dinner & Fruit for Dessert. Chew your food 10 times before swallowing & dont pick bland Fruit/Veggies. Be exciting with your fruit & veggie choices so the week is enjoyable.
- Exercise. Exercise for one hour daily. And not just any exercise – something that makes you pant and puff and raise a sweat like KONGA! Vigorous exercise increases lymph flow and circulation to help sweat out toxins.
- Drink: Aim to drink three litres of fluid daily. This will help move the lymph and support kidney detoxification. Choose from pure spring water, fresh vegetable juice and herbal detox teas.
Let these images from @clean_eating_journal inspire you to cook up some amazing dishes! Yep…you can eat all of these on your detox week!
Let us know how you go 😉 x